Two weeks ago, my friends found my blogpost about our trip to Laguna. My friend, Ayet, missed that trip because of work. She expressed her regret not being part of the photos I have shared. I promised she will get featured on this blog. Now is her time to shine! 😀
I met Ayet 3 years ago on a trip to Naga. We had common friends. We belong to the same high school batch. I know she’s a keeper because we have only been friends for three years now yet it seemed like we have been friends for a long time. She is one bright girl with a loving heart and an adventurous soul. I learned a lot from her in the past three years.
Here are the things I learned from her just by observing how she lives her life:
1. Never be afraid to take adventures. This girl does not have an ounce of fear in her body. At least, she does not let it show. She climbed Mt. Apo, wakeboarded in Naga, surfed in La Union, plunged in Bohol, parasailed in Boracay , paraglided in Australia and a lot more.
2. Know your good angles and strike a pose. As much as I love to take candid photos, she peppers my shots with glamour poses! She is responsible for many of our ‘choreographed’ photos. It makes traveling fun.
3. Treasure the memories. She has several albums on Facebook full of photos. Recently, friends have unearthed the high school photos she shared long ago. There was a fun exchange of comments in the process. In my case, I got know what some of my friends looked like in high school since I did not know them then.
4. We all need some sense of humor. She introduced us to some terms of endearment that we end up using when we get together. These terms have become inside jokes and would result to fits of laughter among friends.
5. No act of kindnes is ever wasted. For two of our trips, she opened her home for us. We all converged in her room like sardines but we loved it. We were all together. Such generosity of sharing her space no matter how small is always remembered.
6. Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less (CSLewis). She has this funny way of putting herself last on the list even at her own wedding! She once told us, “Do you really still need to take pictures of me preparing for the wedding?” Yes, we do! You are the star of that day. She does not put herself under the spotlight even if the light is directed towards her. And she never rubbed it in our face that she topped her class in school.
7. Know when to let go. She has her own share of trials and heartbreaks. Her unwavering faith has kept her strong through the years. It takes courage to walk away from things that you worked hard to keep together because they no longer make people happy.
8. Her family is always in her heart. She flew home in a heartbeat when the family needed her. You can see how she is loved and how she loves them back.
9. Take time to reflect. There is power in silence and in listening to your own hearbeat. We can be alone in our thoughts and find better perspective in life. She writes from the heart when she feels like she needs to express something. She goes on a retreat to recharge her spirit. She says a prayer whenever she can.
10. Never give up on love. She allowed herself to love and be loved.
I know I will learn a lot more from her.
And since I am sharing this post to her, this is my special message:
Happy, happy birthday, Ayet! I admire you for your kind and loving heart, wicked sense of humor and adventurous spirit. I truly appreciate and treasure your friendship. Mwah!
OMG! This made me cry a river of happy tears! Hinampak! This is so touching Kat! Thank you so much for this. . . Now I have somewhere to go & something to look into whenever my life’s wick goes too low and if I feel I’m loosing my own glow. Life is a learning process and I took it the same way when you said you learned a lot from me ‘coz I did learn a lot from you too and I would be more than willing to share them if it needs be. But as you said, It’s my time to shine, so… thank you once again! I just love it when the Big Guy is choreographing our lives specially mine ‘coz if the scene needs a friend, He will not just pick an extra from somewhere. He will surely warrant the appearance of a Pro. In my case, You! LuvYahKat!
Love you, gwaps! I miss you!!!
Lovely tribute post to your friend. You really lucky to have such a friend to count on:)
Great friendship is truly PRICELESS!!!
happy birthday to your friend!
may you have more wonderful adventures to come! 🙂
Happy birthday to your friend, Ayet. It’s always good to have a friend that you can count on and inspire you along the way.
What a good friend you have in her. She is a blessing!
Awwww what great friendship you share, Kat! Both of you are a blessing to each other. I was touched even though I’m not and do not know Ayet hehe. If I were her, I would have this post printed and framed!
Thank you, Maan. Yes, she is a gem. 😀
[…] Friendship. I found time to write about my friend, Ayet. I thank God for friends He sends my […]