October is a steady month. I did not have a tight schedule but it was a memorable one nonetheless. When you have time for reflection, you get a clearer picture of what you want to accomplish. I am still in the process of knowing what I want to accomplish in life. There is one thing I am sure I want to do. I just want to enjoy life and embrace whatever joys and trials that come my way.
This year, I embarked on being grateful. I started a gratitude journal and I blogged every month on the things I am grateful for. This is is my 10th month in this process. I am happy and grateful for each blessing. Not everyday is a good day but I am also grateful for the lessons that little misfortunes have given me.
Here are the reasons why I am grateful for October:
1. New recipe. My aunt was sick so I volunteered to cook dinner for the family. I wanted to cook something new. I remember that my aunt loves Chowking’s orange chicken so I googled and found Panlasang Pinoy’s recipe. It was a hit in the family. I posted this photo on Facebook and one friend asked for a recipe. She tried to cook it for her family. Her family loves it, too.
2. Spanish Sardines. This is a staple food in college. My roommate introduced me to Spanish sardines and I love it since then. Since I was the designated cook for the family during this time, I served Spanish sardines because I was not able to research on what to cook. Ha! Every time I eat Spanish sardines, it always brings me back to those happy memories with my college roommates.
3. Opportunity to help. I was invited to join a medical mission to a remote barangay in my city. I was assigned to be the pharmacist together with some volunteers. We dispensed the free medicines according to the prescription of the doctor after the patient was checked up. It was my first time to join a medical mission and it touched my heart when I saw one woman cry upon receiving her wheelchair.
4. Meeting my adorable nephew. My cousin, Ghia, and I have agreed to meet regularly to catch up on our lives (and eat out). This time around she brought her nephew, Dirk, and brother, Papat. Dirk was so adorable. He easily warmed up to me and engaged in a conversation. I grabbed this photo from my cousin’s Facebook. Follow her on instagram: kristineghia. She posts inspiring photos. She is my instagram idol.
5. Road trip with friends. It is almost a year since we last visited our friend, Jen. She lives two towns away and she is always unavailable when we invite her to our get-together. “If the mountain won’t come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain.” So off we went to Nasipit, she has a small farm with plants like dragonfruit and passionfruit. Too bad, the passion fruit is not ripe yet. We also went swimming since her aunt has a beach property.
6. Report completed. I had a pending report and even if it was declared a holiday, I was working. Glad there was somebody who also reported for work to help me accomplish the report.
7. Call from my cousin. My cousin called to inform me that she will spend some vacation time with us.
8. Motivation to workout. I started exercising this year. I was doing it regularly until May came where I got busy with alumni homecoming, fiesta and a trip. Exercising took a backseat. Once in a while, I exercise but I decided to get my butt to exercise regularly again since Christmas is near and I am sure I would not be able to resist all the food.
9. A lesson on being careful. We watched ‘Gone Girl’ and it was the first time that my uncle was able to watch a movie at the new mall. I was the one who suggested the movie and I was glad my uncle and aunt loved it. The last time I suggested a movie, they were not happy with it. hahaha The day went well until late in the afternoon. I accompanied my other aunt to the dentist and after the appointment, we dropped by a Taiwanese store. I was wearing a sling bag and we were busy choosing umbrella for my aunt. Little did I know that a pickpocket was beside me and was already stealing my wallet. I went from ‘Gone Girl’ to Gone Wallet. We asked to look at the CCTV footage and was surpised at how easy it was for an old woman to steal my wallet from my bag. When I found out I lost my wallet, she was just standing right next to me! Good thing I did not bring a lot of cash. I do not have a lot to begin with. I lost Php400. Not a lot pero dami na mabibili niya. I hope she put my money to good use. ‘Wag mo ibili ng drugs, Lola. I was worried about my IDs and ATM cards. I immediately called the banks to cancel them.
10. Wallet found. A tricycle driver came to the house and returned my wallet. Thank you, God! I was worried about my SSS ID since it might take months before it gets replaced and being a freelancer and a non-driver, I do not have a company ID and driver’s license if a valid ID is asked from me. I prayed that somebody will return my wallet. I prayed that the thief will not take interest on my wallet and just throw it somewhere and hope someone would return it to me. True enough, the tricycle driver found my wallet in a tricycle terminal. Good thing my cedula was in my wallet so he knew where to return it.
11. Cousin visited. Since she promised to visit us this month, she called me that she is arriving. Ora mismo! I did not have time to prepare for her homecoming so when she went home, we went to the grocery and she did a lot of the cooking. It was also a time to bond with my cousins and the rest of the family.
12. Photoshoot with friends. My friends had this makeup workshop. They hired makeup artist to teach them how to apply makeup. They realized how expensive it is to hire makeup artists every time they attend weddings and other events. I was supposed to join them but my cousin was still in town so I only promised to be there later in the night when they are done so I can take their photos. Let me just say that my friends are gorgeous even without makeup. With makeup, they are as beautiful. Say hello to Eula Valdez, Maricar Reyes, Julia Montes and Bea Alonzo! 😉
13. Bonding with Tita. My cousin was still in town. My aunt got her to clean up the garden. Ha! We got her to work! It was our form of endearment. We missed her just being in the house. She gladly put her landscaping hat on.
14. Meeting deadlines. I have set aside some of the work I have been doing for family duties. This time around, I rolled up my sleeves and pounded my keyboard. At one point I was so sleepy, I dozed off. hahaha Good thing I was able to wake up and finish the job.
15. Fitness talk. My friend, Grace, is into fitness and I have been taking tips from her on how to get fit. She is disciplined with her workout and the results are showing. I wish to do the same. Be motivated like her by following her on instagram: Gracegetfit.
16. Joyride. We spent the afternoon in my cousin’s car checking areas in the city inaccessible by public commute unless we hire a transportation for a fee. I took one of my B&W photos during this joyride.
17. Happy being me. I am already in my late 30’s (I’ll be 40 in a few years!) and I realized that this is the decade I enjoyed most in my life. I have a few insecurities here and there, yet this is the decade I am confident about myself. I still feel awkward from time to time but there is that little voice inside my head telling me that everything will be all right. And I do not mind taking a selfie from time to time! LOL This is my humarap-sa-bentilador shot (face-the-electric-fan shot).
18. Annual Pilgrimage. It was our annual trip to Magallanes. It was the feast of the Our Lady of the Rosary. We always try to go there every year to hear mass. It was in this church that my mother prayed that God would bless her with a child. God gave my mother her only child four years after she got married.
19. Sign to rest. I have a cough. I try to remedy it with warm water and Vitamin C.
20. Gift. My friend delivered this to our house and it has my name on it. Thank you!
21. Photography Challenge. I was tagged for a photography challenge and I gladly accepted it. I started posting the photos.
22. Convenience of a tablet. Whenever I have a recipe to try, I search it on the internet. I used to write the instructions down or go back and forth to the room or wherever I placed my laptop. Now that I have a tablet I only have to take a screenshot of the webpage and carry the tablet to the kitchen to follow the instructions.
23. Goofy time with Adriane. It was my aunt’s birthday and my nephew came to visit. We goofed around, of course.
24. My first photography gig. I got an ID to prove it. Nah, it was just a simple request from my cousin who teaches at one of the schools here. They are celebrating United Nations Day and she wanted to have photos of the event. They did not hire an official photographer so she requested me to take photos. She asked for an ID for me so that I would be allowed to go near the stage.
25. Cousin’s endoscopy. I accompanied my cousin for endoscopy. An endoscope is a device inserted into the mouth to see what is inside the stomach. Thank God nothing major was discovered.
26. Movie time with friends. I watched ‘The Best of Me’ with friends.
27. Pool time with cousins. My cousins and I went out of town to go swimming. He wanted to try the waterproof casing for his phone. You can see we had fun.
28. Health solutions. I have thinning hair. I am now trying shampoos and vitamins to make my hair healthier. I hope what I found works. I will talk about them once I get good results.
29. Free pizza. We took advantage of Greenwich buy one-take one promo.
30. Staying inspired. I thank God I still have the energy to do the things I want to do.
31. Finding an alternative. I made Black Sambo for my aunt’s birthday but the gelatin did not set. So I froze it and turned it into ice cream.
How was October for you?
Omy. You had lots of activities last October. Perks of a freelancer? Huhu. I want to join your club. Teach me how?
And you’re nearing 40s? You look younger than that! The last item got me smiling. Sometimes, the outcome depends on the attitude. 🙂
This is such a cute and inspiring idea. I’ll probably start on January (para fresh start hehe!).
I also lost my wallet once in an SM mall! And the sad part it, they have installed CCTV cameras but they weren’t functioning! My tuition was gone and so were a lot of bank cards (ATM & credit cards), and other important IDs. Some of those who got robbed would say “I’m no longer after the money, just my IDs” because of the hassle of getting new ones noh?
Wow! So many good things on last month. I’m also following this idea and being grateful instead of complaining (I even started a Challenge 30 days no complaints i’m still on my way) It totally changes your way to view daily life and specially when I’m having one of those bad mood days it’s when I remember this and being grateful change it!
Wow that’s a pretty long list of great things to be thankful for! Anyway, had I not read this, I wouldn’t have known Gone girl is already showing! heehee.
Good for you on the workout, I’m also fighting for consistency in mine as I’ve gained so much weight in the last few months.
What an eventful month!!! :O You’re really great at cooking too, those pictures look fab, almost like in a restaurant! ^^
It’s wonderful you had a great October. I had a scarily busy one… with Halloweens and stuff.
Last month was a hodgepodge of blessings and misfortunes for me. And I embrace both of these in my life too, just like you. I realized that I should continue notating both to witness more the goodness of our Lord.
This is such a great idea! Being able to look back on your month and finding things to be thankful for! I love the fact that even in the smallest things, you find that it is something to be thankful about, not a lot of people see things like that! God bless on your November! And hmmm… I might try this next year! 😀
Seems like October did a wonderful job in making you thankful and happy. Congratulations, by the way. Everyone deserves a smile.
Such a beautiful post dear. It is essential that we should be thankful for all the small joys of life. Thank you for sharing 🙂
It’s nice to count all the reason to be thankful. I think the more important part is being happy with who you are as you reach 40.
What I like about you is that you are always so positive about everything you do and you are grateful for all the small things that happen in life and that make every moment special. You appreciate every day of your life and this is the way I also approach life, with joy and gratitude.
What a busy October you had !!! Mine seems completely boring in comparison. Glad you had a lovely month though!
Wow, I see that you’ve got so many things that you have been grateful for last month. Simple things such as sardines and loved ones make me happy and thankful as well! 🙂 I also became more fueled and inspired since last month.
I can relate dun sa tablet, hehe. Remember the iPad that I won from Nuffnang? I’m not into gadgets talaga, but because of that thing, I am able to try recipes easily. Nakakatakam yung orange chicken ah. 🙂 Thank you for sharing your October. Mine is here: http://www.ruralmomkristine.com/2014/11/october-busy-and-grateful.html
I admire your persistence to get all the dates recorded and journal!!
Great job! I should do one myself too sometimes..
I had a busy October. Ramdam ko habang lumalapit ang December lalo nagiging busy ang mga araw. I am always looking forward to your thankful posts. It is always a joy reading them. Stay Blessed.
Congratulations to you, this is a very good practice, at it is a law that what you focus on, will bring more things alike, Good luck , and may you be continue to be blessed with things to be grateful for
Anything that includes family and food is a huge success for me. I love your attitude of gratitude.
You really got many reasons to be thankful the past month.
Congrats with your first photography gig.
I miss the passion fruits.
Wow! Congratulations for having a great October! I really liked how you are being so optimistic with this post. Indeed, gratitude is the best attitude! I believe you will be showered with more blessings this month of November and in the coming months. Continue inspiring people with your writing. And also, I loved all the photos of the food that you cooked for last month. Everything looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Wow Kat! Your October was superb just like the other months except you don’t have much travel last month.
As for my October we’ll it was kind of frustrating because of the virus that hit our household and yet I’m still thankful that we we’re able to survive and that nothing major had happened.
October month is great! I love spending most of my time with my kids, family and friends. I love seeing your photos Sis. It’s great reading your blog, always have a lot to be thankful this month of October, great friends, family, unforgettable bonding’s and delicious food is being shared. yum!
You got a really fun and memorable October! I love seeing your beautiful pictures, great bonding with family and friends, foodie escapade and oh yeah! Can I have some sardines please! sarap tingnan.. and note: I do selfie to from time to time..hehehe:)
That is certainly a lot of things done during October. Love the food your featured.
You had a lof of great memories in October. Keep on making memories. I love the idea of this post!
Every time I see this post with all the yummy pictures of your food, nagugutom na ako. Talaga yang orange chicken at ang talent mo in photography is my weakness! haha!
Wow! You have been consistent and posted this for ten months already!! Sometimes nga we get too busy with our lives, we forget all of those things that we are grateful for. Tuloy, we always say where did the month go, tapos agad. With this exercise (which I intend to do soon 🙂 ), we learn to appreciate and be grateful
Your posts inspire to focus on the good things which is sometimes hard to do. But I know that if it is done consciously and repeatedly, it is possible 🙂
Wow Kat! I really love who you took the photos of the food posted here. As in ang galing mo na sa food photography. 🙂
Lot to be thankful! having good health, great friends and delicious food. Yum!:)